Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The hostess with the mostess

When I was a little girl my mom told me that whenever I would get a treat in school or church, I'd save it until I got home so that I could share it with my family. I've always been that way. Whenever I get something good I love to share it. Whether it be food, life changing books I've read, or whatever (except for my favorite chocolate - if I only have a few pieces left, then it's hands off people!)

Years ago, Todd and I were invited to my Mission President's home with a few other couples for dinner. When we got there we were treated like royalty and fed a wonderful dinner. The table was set with their best china, lit candles, beautiful flowers for a centerpiece and name cards and a small gift at each place setting. Sister Turley had gone to such great lengths to make it absolutely perfect!
(Image - google)

On the way home Todd and I talked about how loved and cherished we felt because they had really put a lot of thought into making it such a wonderful night, and commented on how neat it was to have someone show their love for you in that way. I decided that because I love to entertain I was going to invite the people that I loved over for a dinner like that. I started planning and getting excited about it. We invited several of our closest friends over and I took great care in choosing the menu and putting together the prettiest table that I could. I lit candles around the room and had name cards where they were supposed to sit. Everything looked perfect!
(Not my actual table.....)

When the guests started arriving I expected that they would feel of my love for them as they saw what I had spent my time doing for them, just like Todd and I felt. But, when one couple came, the wife looked around the room and saw the table and said, "Well, aren't you the hostess with the mostess?" I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it, but I felt like she didn't understand why I had gone to all of the trouble and was doing it to make myself look good. I haven't invited anyone outside of my family over for a formal dinner since then because I'm afraid of people thinking that I'm trying to outdo them. Dumb, I know. Every time I open my cupboards and see my pretty chargers and china sitting there unused I hear her voice saying, "Well, aren't you the hostess with the mostess" and I shut the cupboards and think, well, maybe someday.

So, if you get an invitation from me in the future and walk in and see candles lit and my table set with my best china, know that I'm doing it out of love for you and not because I want to be the "hostess with the mostess".

5 comments:

Carol said...

Oh Michelle, that is such a sad story! You are so good at making people feel loved, and doing nice things for them! I miss your hostess skills, and your awesome cooking!!!!!!! But most of all, I just miss YOU! Love ya!

Kellie Knapp said...

that lady is DUMB. I LOVE having swanky dinners! One of my swankiest dinners ever was at your house and I was OBSESSED and loved every minute. You keep keeping on and if anyone ever says that to you again then just say " why yes. YES I am!"

Brandee said...

As I read this post, it saddens me. You are always a very gracious host and I am in awe of your talent for entertaining and making people feel loved and invited into your home. Perhaps the comment really wasn’t meant in the negative way. Hostess with the mostess means entertaining with a hip and modern twist or stylish entertaining. I know that when I am in your home I am amazed at your ability to create beauty and love and your d├ęcor is always marvelous. I hope that you will continue to open your home and your heart to your family and friends because you really are the best hostess that I know.

Lucinda said...

You are an amazing, elegant woman. You make everyone feel loved and important. I know that EVERYONE LOVES your parties. Thank you for being willing to share your love with others through entertaining.

Anne Brown said...

i'll come over anytime and enjoy every minute of the wining and dining! I love having people over for dinner too!!! I am excited to invite some new neighbors over for dinner and games soon! You should start having people over again. you will attract the people that will make it fun and enjoyable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow by Email