Translate

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My fun back to school projects.

The video below is just one reason why I love my husband so much.  He always knows how to make me laugh....
Imagine our surprise when we went to church that Sunday and everyone was talking about Todd's sweet dance moves.  I had no idea that our neighbor's son was over when I was posting it to youtube (only so I could email it to my sister, who got a good laugh out of it), but he apparently showed his parents, who emailed it to the whole neighborhood to watch.  That's another reason why I love him so much.  He's very forgiving. :)



Emily got a cute new haircut for school.  It was her first "official" haircut since I've always cut her hair for her.  She looks so stinkin' adorable!!  She loves to try to jazz up the dog with animal print. 

A little sisterly love.

I've been doing more projects around here since I've been feeling so much better the last 3-4 months.  Thankfully, I figured out that I had adrenal fatigue, so I've been really trying to take care of myself and take some supplements to heal my adrenals.  These are just a few of the things that have been on my to-do list that I finally got around to...

 This is the before shoe.  Super cheap but comfy from Walmart....

The bottom one in green is one of the afters.  I mixed dark green and gray Angelus paint (which I love!) together to get a color to match a skirt of mine.  I prepped it first with the Angelus leather preparer/deglazer.  If you don't have any, use straight acetone.  In the Club Night I taught for DYT I kept saying to prep it with fingernail polish remover.  I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that you could prep your shoe with it, but when I do it doesn't work as well.   So, I changed the notes to read "use acetone to prep and not polish remover".  Hopefully the DYT members will read the notes and use the hard stuff.  It will make a big difference!  I painted the mauve shoe as well.  It used to be brown. 

I also bought a pair just like mine to make my friend Sheryl a hot pink pair.  I used the Angelus neon color Parisian Pink.  The paint is really watery and it looked really streaky even after 3 to 4 coats.  I decided to add white to it to give it something to adhere to and make it a little thicker.  It seemed to help, but it still didn't look as good as I wanted it to.  I think I probably did 8 or 9 coats total.  After the picture was taken I painted the buckle silver with fingernail polish.  I covered the heel in black acrylic paint mixed with water.


I found these beautiful shoes at Ross and knew that I could easily paint over the black part.  


I used a little wooden stamp to add some pattern on the heel to jazz it up a bit.


Another pair I found at the thrift store...before
 And after - mixing a few paints together to get a color I loved and after adding a gathered lace detail.  These were fabric shoes by the way and I used the Angelus paints right over the top.

I silver foiled my trey ceiling.  It was a lot of work, but I love the end result.  You can see where I started it.

 And I FINALLY painted my dining room table.  Here's what it looked like before.  You can read about how I painted the chairs here... painted-leather-dining-chairs

The black showed every mark and shortly after getting it my husband left some glue on it that he used to fix the sprinklers and it left a huge white mark that I was never able to get rid of.  I wanted it to be lighter, but didn't necessarily want a painted table look.  

Here it is after.  I researched a ton and finally found a stainless paint that you can paint appliances with.  I love the way it turned out.  I found the paint here http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com.  It's really lightened up the room and made it feel more airy.  It also doesn't look like it's been painted, which is what I was going for.  (Update:  After 3 years the edges are starting to peel off in spite of putting a primer on first.  I should have sanded everything really well first!)


I also found this cool buffet table at the thrift store and it was calling my name.  I had been wanting one exactly like it so when I walked into the store and saw it I knew it needed to come home with me.    I love all of the details in the piece.


I put a coat of primer on a few places and then mixed up my own chalk paint.  It worked just as well as the Annie Sloan that I tried before and it was WAY cheaper.  I used the calcium carbonate recipe that is all over the internet.  Chalk paint is really easy to work with.  I also spray painted the hardware.  I'm really happy with how it turned out  Now I just need to find some ring pulls that match the existing ones.



I think after all of that I need a rest.  I don't want to exhaust my adrenals again, so I'm going to take it easy on the big projects for awhile.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow by Email